CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS

Sunday, June 21, 2009

My Helpless Estate

We sang a song today in church that touched my heart and I have not been able to get the words off my mind since. I try to sing the words of our church songs and grasp the spiritual meaning of them and not allow them to just become words. What we sang was "It Is Well With My Soul" by Horatio Spafford.

Verse 2 of the song:
Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come,
Let this blest assurance control,
That Christ has regarded my helpless estate,
And hath shed His own blood for my soul.


God spoke to me and reminded me how helpless I was before HIM and that He saw my condition- my helpless estate, and took my place on the cross and shed His own blood for me. Oh what a God I serve.

He hath delivered my soul in peace from the battle that was against me: for there were many with me. Psalms 55:18

Horatio Spafford was wealthy Chicago lawyer and had invested his money and lost almost all his wealth in the Chicago Fire of 1871, and then in 1873 his wife and his four daughters were sailing to Europe and collided with another ship and all four of his daughters died. As he was on voyage and passed by the place his daughters perished he began to pen this well know hymn "It is Well with My Soul".

As I close, I wonder how many of us know enough about God and the scriptures to have been able to have wrote something like this if this tragedy has happened to us. I am not talking about the eloquence of words, I am talking about knowing the scriptures and knowing God so richly that we could still praise and honor Him anyway, in spite of our circumstances. Lord, help me love you today more than yesterday, and tomorrow more than today.

It's all About HIM
Joan

1 comments:

Jamie Lynn said...

That's pretty awesome, Joan Carr:)
This is one of my favorite posts from you!!